Henry Boot PLC are committed to protecting and enhancing the environment in all business operations and are proud of our subsidiaries' expertise and enthusiasm in making this happen.
We make this happen by applying best practice in all operation of our business through environmental protection, environmental enhancement and sustainable development, such as:
- Maintaining our ISO 14001 approval for all construction activities
- Improvement of our Environmental Performance
- Impact Assessment and Action Plans
- Assessment and Remediation Strategies
- Waste reduction, recycling and carbon reduction targets
- Ethical supply chain management
- Innovative design, including delivering project under BREEAM to an ‘excellent’ rating
- Environmental performance against industry key performance indicators
- Employee training and awareness
- Comprehensive Sustainable Business Strategy which sets out commitments and targets in the following disciplines:
- Energy & Climate
- Natural Resources
- Waste & Pollution
We are registered with Business in the Community (BITC) Yorkshire & Humber and have acheived a rating of over 95% when measured against their comprehesive environmental index; click here for 2016 BITC report (no longer produced). As a result Henry Boot PLC is now listed as one of the top nine companies in the region on the BITC Environmental Index and have recently been awarded a Climate Change Champion Award.
Stocksbridge Resource Efficiency - Zero Waste to Landfill and Carbon Savings
Through the application of a Materials Management Plan combined with applying the waste management hierarchy and industry best practice, the remediation works at the Stocksbridge Mixed Use Development project has delivered inspiring waste minimisation and carbon savings statistics. These include:
- Zero waste to landfill
- 435,250 tonnes of material reused on site
- 10,000 tonnes of contaminated material treated, retained and reworked on site
- 125,000 m3 concrete and stone crushed and reused on site, reducing vehicle movements resulting in circa 321.78 tonnes of carbon savings
Henry Boot Construction Limited have signed up to the 'Built Environment Commitment', an initiative to deliver a resource efficient, low carbon environment. This initiative supports the governments' 'Construction 2015 Strategy'. Further to signing up to the initiative, Henry Boot Construction appear on the 'Wall of Fame', being one of the first contractors to sign up to the initiative. By taking part in the industry wide initiative we are contributing with others towards halving our greenhouse gas emissions by 2025.
Our environment credentials on this project demonstrate our commitment to playing our part to reduce waste and greenhouse gas emissions.
As an award winning contractor committed to sustainability, including the highest standards of health and safety, reducing environmental impact and putting something back into local communities.
Russell Thompson of Provectus Group said, "Provectus Group are delighted to be associated with Henry Boot Construction in their sustainable approach to this development. Appointed to deal with specialist remediation the project strategy was to include reuse of all site won soils and production of recycled concrete to use within development platform, minimising disruption to surrounding road networks by reduced lorry import of stone and export of material. This strategy has had a significant benefit to the development and the the regeneration of Stocksbridge."